Confirmed speakers include:
- Greg Boone, Disabled Students’ Allowances Team Leader, DfE
- Nona McDuff, Director of Student Achievement, Kingston University
- Phil Scarffe, Head of Student Welfare, De Montfort University
- Ann-Marie Houghton, Director of REAP, Lancaster University
- Rachel O'Brien, Disabled Students’ Officer, NUS
- Julia Taylor, Subject Specialist (Accessibility & Inclusion), Jisc
- Matthew Williams, Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Employment Studies
- Frances Lewin, Communication & Language Specialist
- Pete Quinn, Independent Consultant (event chair)
Academic year 2016-17 saw major changes introduced to Disabled Students’ Allowances. The Government’s reforms have shifted the balance of responsibility so that HEIs now directly fund more support to meet their Equality Act duties to make reasonable adjustments. Funding is only part of the picture though and more remains to be done to create inclusive teaching & learning environments where disabled students are able to thrive.
Join Westminster Briefing on 15 November to receive an up to date brief on reforms to Disabled Students’ Allowances, examine support HEIs should be providing and learn how inclusion can be embedded into teaching & learning practices.
Key issues to be addressed include:
- Latest developments in DSAs and Government plans for the future
- The impact of reforms one year on
- NMH Quality Assurance Framework and delivering a high standard of support
- Reasonable adjustments and support HEIs must provide
- The Exceptional Case Process
- Delivering social models of support
- Inclusive curriculum frameworks & developing a whole institutional approach
- Changing teaching & learning cultures to promote inclusion
- Reasonable adjustments in assessment processes
- Inclusive teaching and the TEF
The issues will be divided into sessions entitled:
- Disabled Students' Allowances
- Reasonable Adjustments & HEI Provided Support
- Creating Inclusive Teaching & Learning Environments
Who should attend?
Anyone involved in supporting disabled students in HE, including: disability officers; student services & support; teaching, pedagogy & course leads; registry; & students’ unions.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com |
0207 593 5657