Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Hifsa Haroon-Iqbal, Prevent HE Regional Coordinator for the West Midlands
The Counter Terrorism & Security Act 2015 places a duty on relevant higher education bodies to have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism. In practical terms this means HEIs must identify risks & develop action plans to manage them, link to local ‘Prevent’ structures and have mechanisms in place for sharing information about vulnerable individuals. While the problem is clear for all to see, the duty remains controversial.
Join Westminster Briefing on 18 October for an up to date brief on the latest developments in the application of the prevent duty to higher education. We will examine the requirements placed on HEIs, how the sector is trying to develop a balanced approach and what individual institutions are doing to meet their statutory duties.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Clarifying HEIs’ duties under Prevent
- How compliance with the duty is being monitored
- Observable trends & current risks
- Balancing measure to prevent extremism with equality, inclusion & freedom of speech
- Identifying risks & developing an action plan to manage them
- Maintaining effective welfare support systems that link to local Prevent structures
- Implementing arrangements to share information about vulnerable individuals
- Training senior managers & raising awareness
- Building links with external Prevent partners
The morning session will approach the issues at a sector level, examining the latest policy, guidance & legal developments, clarifying HEIs’ duties and discussing how to balance measures to prevent extremism with equality, inclusion & freedom of speech considerations.
The afternoon session will focus on learning from case study examples of what individual HEIs are already doing to meet the Prevent duty.
Who Should Attend?
Attendees will be drawn from institutions across the HE sector & anyone else with an interest in preventing extremism.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com |
0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities & agenda content, please email: Luke.Espin@dodsgroup.com