- Sophie Broadfield, Deputy Director, Local Government Finance Reform, DCLG
- Nicola Morton, Head of Local Government Finance, LGA
- More speakers TBC
Through the Local Government Finance Bill the previous Government sought to legislate for the 100% retention of business rates by local authorities, beginning in the 2019-20 Financial Year. This formed part of a radical strategy to phase out Central Government Grant and make local authorities more financially self-reliant. However, since the General Election, there has been uncertainty over the future of Local Government Finance reform under the new Government.
Join us on 2nd November for an up-to-date brief from Sophie Broadfield, Deputy Director, Local Government Finance Reform, DCLG about the new Government's priorities for Local Government Finance reform, at an event which will cover business rates, council tax and best practice in income generation.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Government plans to phase out Central Government Grant
- Progress on reforms to business rates
- Other policy priorities for the new Government
- Impact of the 2017 business rate revaluation
- Appeals against rateable values
- Business rate reliefs and exemptions
- Using the council tax precept to invest in social care
- Scope for flexibility over council tax rates
- Best practice in raising revenue through traded services
- Using joint ventures to generate income
- Other methods of income generation
The morning will include a keynote speech from Sophie Broadfield, Deputy Director, Local Government Finance Reform, DCLG on the new Government's priorities for Local Government Finance reform, as well as a separate session on proposals to reform business rates.
The afternoon will look at the future of council tax and there will also be a session covering best practice in income generation by local authorities.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
Who Should Attend?
Delegates will be drawn from anyone with an interest in local government finance, including those with the following job titles: Chief Finance Officer, Section 151 Officer, Head of Financial Services, Head of Strategic Finance, Resources Director, Head of Finance, Head of Revenue Services.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com.