Confirmed to speak:
- Dr. Sammy Li, Chair, LGBT Staff Network, University of Wolverhampton - Winner of Stonewall’s West Midlands Network Group of the Year 2017 and The Guardian University Awards 2017 (Advancing Staff Equality)
- Dr Stephanie McKendry, Widening Access Manager, University of Strathclyde
- Dr. Nicola Gale, Co-chair, Inclusive Curriculum Committee and Equality & Diversity Champion, University of Birmingham
- Sean Russell, Director - getoutstayout.org.uk; HE LGBT consultant and Coach; SFHEA
- Further speakers TBA
Higher Education can be a place where LGBT people often have very positive experiences however incidences of homophobic, biphobic & transphobic bullying still occur. There is still much more the sector can do engage with this equality area.
Attend this Westminster Briefing event to review how your institution provides support for, and addresses discrimination against LGBT staff and students. This is an opportunity to hear what other institutions are doing in this area and share good practice for you take back an implement in your setting.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Understanding the legal responsibilities that institutions have in this area
- Tackling differences in student & staff experiences
- Embedding inclusivity in the curriculum
- The role of student groups, staff networks & mentor schemes
- Training your staff on LGBT policies, rights & support
- Raising awareness
- Implementing appropriate and effective policies across HEIs and SUs
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Tim.Archer@westminster-briefing.com
Who Should Attend?
You will join a range of higher education and equality stakeholders, widening participation officers, including colleagues working in equality offices, admissions, student services and support, students' unions, teaching and pedagogy and anyone else interested or involved in this area in higher education.