- Karen Buck MP, Vice Chair, APPG for the Private Rented Sector
- Senior Representative, Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government
- Justin Bates, Barrister, Landmark Chambers, Co-author of the 'Homes Fit for Human Habitation Act'
- Giles Peaker, Partner, Anthony Gold Solicitors, Co-author of the 'Homes Fit for Human Habitation Act'
- Further Speakers to be announced
The Government is planning to tighten safety standards for rented accommodation. This is evident in the passing of the homes (fit for human habitation) act, the planned reforms to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), extended mandatory licensing for HMOs, as well as councils being given stronger powers to enforce standards. With the number of tenants in the private rented sector growing substantially each year, local authorities have a growing duty to enforce standards for rented accommodation within their local areas.
Join Westminster Briefing on the 25th of April to review your organisation’s internal procedures and practices to enforce higher standards in the private rented sector. Get an up to date brief on the latest developments in policy and learn good practice from leading organisations enforcing these tighter measures.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Overview of the Government’s plans to tighten safety standards for rented accommodation
- Preparing for and enforcing the new Homes Fit for Human Habitation Act
- Identifying poor standards in the private rented sector
- Understanding your council’s range of powers to enforce safety standards
- Next steps: preparing for reforms to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- Using selective licensing schemes and licensing powers well
- Engaging with the best landlords to encourage self-regulation in the sector
The morning session will focus upon the the government actions, timescales & next steps in enforcing and improving safety standards.
The afternoon session will examine when and how to effectively enforce standards in your local areas private rented sector.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interests or duty to improve and enforce standards in the private rented sector, including but not limited to: Local authorities; Landlords; Representative groups & Solicitors; Housing health and safety officers; Building services managers; Corporate Health and Safety Directors.
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 3 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.
Please note that all speakers and the agenda are subject to change without notice.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: William.Egan@dodsgroup.com