The Government recently enacted the Local Offer for Care Leavers within the Children and Social Work Act 2017. This has introduced new statutory regulations outlining the standard of services provided to care leavers by local authorities, allowing young adults leaving care to have access to vital support up to the age of 25.
Join this Westminster Briefing to hear how these substantial changes will affect your services. The new standards will impact the role of children’s services departments across local authorities. Attend this event to learn how you can prepare to provide a positive and continuing service to care leavers in your area.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Outlining the information local authorities should provide to young people leaving care
- Consulting with relevant persons to ensure services provided are effective in preparing young people for independent living
- Providing a personal adviser for children until the age of 25
- Obligations when not in regular contact with former relevant children
- Assessing the needs of children regularly to confirm level of advice and support
- Creating care leaver champions and building up support networks
- Young people first: moving beyond the care leaver label
- Providing vocational, independent living and social skills to enable care leavers to flourish
- Assisting in practical matters such as accommodation to ensure young people start off the right way out of care
- Working with children in care to improve service delivery
The issues will be split into sessions entitled:
- Understanding the Local Offer for Care Leavers
- Providing Informative Advice and Support
- Best Practice: Supporting Care Leavers into Independent Living
Who Should Attend?
Local authority children’s service’s teams, children’s social workers, private sector social worker providers, training managers & providers, human resource teams, recruitment specialists, child welfare teams, commissioners and project managers.
For registration enquiries please contact:
Customer.email@example.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: