- Dr Graeme Atherton, Head, AccessHE and Director, National Education Opportunities Network (NEON)
- Anand Shukla, Chief Executive, Brightside
- Professor John Storan, Director, Continuum Centre for Widening Participation Policy Studies, University of East London & Director, Action on Access (Chair)
- Greg Brown, Widening Participation Research and Evaluation Unit (WPREU), University of Sheffield
- Carys Fisher, Senior Policy Executive, UCAS
- Charlotte True, Next Steps South West Manager, University of Plymouth
- Further speakers TBC
Equality of opportunity not only enables students to realise their potential but also strengthens your university. HEIs need to ensure widening participation policies close the gaps between underrepresented groups and other students by playing a central role in overcoming barriers these groups face.
Join Westminster Briefing one year on from the Office for Students coming into force for an update on the policy landscape. Attendees will examine the impact of the OfS’ “Access and Participation Plans” and explore how their institution can widen participation at all stages of the student lifecycle.
Key Issues to be Addressed:
- Next Steps in Widening Participation and Improving Access in HE
- Examining social mobility policies
- The OfS approach and responding to their consultation
- Identifying underrepresented student groups and tailoring outreach strategies
- Flexible admissions: transforming the process
- Establishing partnerships with schools, colleges and universities to improve access to HE
About the Day:
The morning session will focus on the impact of the regulatory framework on student social mobility and the OfS commitment through Access and Participation Plans to tackle barriers to access and involvement.
The afternoon session will explore best practice in widening participation. Attendees will hear from leading institutions who are taking innovative approaches to create equality of opportunity.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in widening participation in HE, including those working in: widening participation & outreach teams; admissions; community engagement; student services; & student unions.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
For registration enquiries please contact:
Customer.firstname.lastname@example.org | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: email@example.com