- Dominic Kingaby, Student Experience Policy Lead, Department for Education
- Kate Wicklow, Policy Manager, GuildHE
- Benjamin Hunt, Student Panel Member, Office for Students
- Laura Gray, Head of Projects, Brightside
- Dr Harriet Dunbar-Morris, Dean of Learning and Teaching and Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor (Student Experience), University of Portsmouth
- Michael Senior, Assistant Headteacher and Director of Post 16 Education, Kingsbury High School
- Dr Harriet Jones, Senior Lecturer and Director of 'Pre-University Skills Programme', University of East Anglia (Chair)
Recent student surveys of university experience reveal the disparity between expectation and reality. Drop-out rates of first year students are on the rise for a third consecutive year. Clearly, universities must act now to ensure students are better prepared for HE and supported during the transition process.
Join Westminster Briefing in January to hear about actions that leading institutions are taking and discuss best practice in supporting students through this challenging but exciting time in their lives.
Key Issues to be Addressed:
- Managing student expectations prior to arrival
- Getting the induction right and reviewing the 2018 intake
- Appointing a ‘Pro VC of Transitions’ and other routes to promote preparedness within your organisation
- Helping students find accommodation
- Tailoring policies to ensure non-traditional students are supported through the transition
- Working in partnership with schools & colleges and communicating with parents & guardians
- The role of student unions
About the Day:
The morning session will focus on supporting students in the lead up to enrolment and preparing for the transition period.
The afternoon session will explore good practice: sharing successful case studies on improving and delivering a supportive induction.
We will provide morning refreshments and a networking lunch. Please let us know about any special needs or dietary requirements.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in Higher Education transitions, including those working in: widening participation & outreach; admissions; student services; marketing; health services & counselling; advice centres; skills development; student accommodation; & students' unions.
The event is CPD certified. A certificate is available after the event.
For registration enquiries please contact:
Customer.firstname.lastname@example.org | 0207 593 5657