- Dr Janice Morphet, Visiting Professor, The Bartlett School of Planning, UCL
- Steve Partridge, Director, Housing Consultancy, Savills
- Tom Shaw, Operations Director (Development), The Hyde Group
- Julian Hart, Estate Regeneration and Housing Delivery Programme Consultant, London Borough of Lambeth
- Cllr Ric Pallister OBE, Leader, South Somerset District Council (event chair)
- More speakers TBC
Research shows that 65 percent of local authorities are directly engaged in housing delivery themselves, but access to funding remains an obstacle to development. The new Social Housing Green Paper includes proposals to give local authorities greater flexibility in how they spend Right to Buy receipts, which followed a previous announcement that councils in high-demand areas will be able to borrow more through their House Revenue Accounts to help fund house building in their local area.
Join Westminster Briefing on 6th September to hear about the powers, funding and guidance available to local authorities engaged in house building, and to learn from best practice from across the country.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Government policies affecting local authority house building
- Accessing different sources of funding
- The powers available to local authorities and how to use them effectively
- Building the skills and capacity of your local authority
- Effective partnership working between different public sector organisations to use public land to help deliver new housing
- Different development vehicles: ALMOs, joint ventures and local housing companies
- Managing risk and getting the governance arrangements right
- Generating income to reinvest in local services
- Good practice case studies
The morning will focus on the powers, funding and guidance available to councils.
The afternoon session will examine a number of best practice case studies of local authorities who are actively engaged in housing delivery.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
Who Should Attend?
Representatives from local authority housing and planning departments, who are interested in supporting housing development in their area.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com