- Sue Markey, Senior Policy Officer, Information Commissioner’s Office
- Maurice Frankel, Director, Campaign for Freedom of Information
- Cllr David Simmonds, Deputy Chairman, Local Government Association
- Ian Murray, Board Member, Society of Editors & Former Editor, Southern Daily Echo
- Daniel Bainbridge, Borough Solicitor, Waverley Borough Council
- Jane Moore, Solicitor, National Association of Local Councils
- Further speakers TBC
The use of public data and information has changed a lot in the 20 years since the Government’s white paper Your Right to Know was published. FOI puts pressures on resources and challenges cultures. The Government still supports the role of FOI in an open public sector, as shown by their response to the Independent Commission on Freedom of Information Report.
Attend this Westminster Briefing to assess the current FOI landscape and hear from the Information Commissioner’s Office and other experts. This is a good chance to explore best practice across England and Wales, examine barriers to information transparency in your sector and network with colleagues working with FOI.
Key Issues to be Addressed:
- Freedom of Information in 2017: the importance of a public ‘Right to Know’
- Developments since the Independent Commission
- Secrecy vs privacy: managing the tensions between FOI and the Data Protection Act
- Latest case law
- Promoting information: publishing responses and available data to the wider public
- Case studies of successful strategies to meet FOI requirements and satisfy requestors
- What are the barriers to information transparency in your sector and how can they be tackled?
About the Day:
The event will be split into the following sessions:
- Government Action and Policy Update
- Developing an Open and Legal Approach to Releasing Data
- Proactive Transparency in your Organisation
- Good Practice and Positive Approaches to Freedom of Information
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
For registration enquiries please contact:
email@example.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email:
Who Should Attend?
Delegates will be drawn from all those who work with Freedom of Information across all sectors of public bodies, including: Information Officers; FOI Officers; Information and Governance Managers; Legal and Governance teams; Solicitors; Records Officers; Legal & Democratic Teams and all others who work with FOI.