Confirmed to Speak:
- Katharina Winbeck, Head - Transport and Environment, London Councils
- Nigel Jenkins, Principal Air Quality Consultant, Phlorum Environmental Consultants
- Bridget Fox, Sustainable Transport Campaigner, Campaign for Better Transport
- Duncan Haynes, Environmental Protection Team Leader, Mid Kent
- Steve Wilcock, Environmental Protection Team Leader, Swale Borough Council
- Graham Harker, Senior Associate, Peter Brett Associates
- Jim McClelland, Senior Consultant, Chelgate
In the UK, air pollutants are responsible for an estimated 40,000 early deaths every year, costing £20 billion. In 2017, after twice having their proposals deemed insufficient by UK courts, the Government launched a new air quality plan, and committed £2.7 billion pounds to improve air quality and develop cleaner transport. However, there have been calls for more urgent action to be taken, and four select committees have now issued an unprecedented joint report urging the Government to do more. Michael Gove has previously promised to publish a comprehensive Clean Air Strategy in 2018.
Attend this timely Westminster Briefing event to hear about and discuss the Government’s plans for air quality. This is an opportunity to examine local air quality management strategies, discover innovative ways to improve air quality and explore the existing and forthcoming policy developments that affect you.
Key Issues to be Addressed:
- Comprehensive update on the latest developments in air quality policy
- What are the next steps for the Government
- What is the potential impact of Brexit on air quality targets?
- National and local constraints: focusing resources and prioritising appropriately
- Targeting local hotspots with poor air quality
- Local Transport Plans: options for limiting emissions from transport and mitigating their effects
- The role of Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (ULEVs) in mitigating air quality issues
- Encouraging more cycling & walking to cut emissions
- Exploring new and innovative measures to help meet air quality objectives
- How are other local authorities improving air quality in their area?
About the Event:
The morning session will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the Government's efforts to tackle air quality, what the next steps will be and what this means for you in your area.
The afternoon session will explore current good practice in tackling plastic litter from around the country. This session will be highly interactive, providing you with practical guidance to take back and implement in your setting
Who should attend?
Delegates will be drawn from areas including local air quality teams, environmental health and protection, public health, transport strategy, elected officials, consultants, planning, public transportation and anyone with an involvement or interest in air pollution and quality.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: William.Walker-Lane@westminster-briefing.com
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.